1. How did you get into this field?
Ever since I was very little I was fascinated by lights; I remember playing with colored bulbs in the house, trying color combinations. As far as getting into the industry, I actually started doing small concerts when I was about 20, and now I own Andres Chamorro Iluminacion, events and rental company in Bogota.
2. What do you think is the next big thing in the lighting industry?
I can definitely say that the LED technology is helping us a lot today. LEDs have brought us different usages, different effects—especially in the TV world. I like working with LED fixtures—in staging and video applications—because they offer good resolution, and low consumption of electricity.
3. Do you have a favorite fixture (and why)?
I like the Mac 101 and CHAUVET COLORado 1-Tri Tour for its output, zoom and intensity of light.
4. What has been your favorite design/project?
Throughout the years we have done so many shows, and I have enjoyed working on all of them. But from the most recent ones, I have to mention “Colombia Tiene Talento” TV reality show. I liked using the SparkliteLED from CHAUVET to create an effect of deep sky, which came out very elegant.
5. What was the biggest unforeseen obstacle that you’ve faced in one of your designs, and how did you overcome it?
One challenge for us has been making clients understand that our top products —such as CHAUVET lights—will perform well and are reliable in any type of application, as opposed to lower-priced fixtures that don’t offer the same quality and assurance of functionality.
6. Complete this thought: A show without light is …
… without color, emotion or life.