Six questions with Matt Levesque, experienced lighting designer of architectural projects, theme parks, and corporate events. – also, founding principal of First Circle Design. Levesque recently completed a major design at MGM Macau in China, where he specified 95 Ilumipanel 180 IP wash lights from CHAUVET Professional’s Iluminarc line of architainment fixtures.
1. How did you get into this field?
Honestly, I found it was a great way to meet the cute girls in the drama department. It worked. I met my wife 17 years ago that way.
2. What do you think is the next big thing in the lighting industry?
Warm white LEDs that amber shift when you dim and dimmers will become obsolete; all lighting systems will be data controlled.
4. What has been your favorite design/project?
Universal Studios Japan 2001—great design with amazingly talented group of designers and consultants.
5. What was the biggest unforeseen obstacle that you’ve faced in one of your designs, and how did you overcome it?
Time. I always want more time for research or just a little bit more to refine the look. I had to learn most of my best work is the work I fuss over the least.
6. Complete this thought: A show without light is like…
…the music industry without The Beatles—just sad.