Six questions with Roland J. Sosa, lighting designer and owner of Advanced Technology Solutions in Ocala, Fla.
1. How did you get into this field?
I got into lighting as a hobby. A friend of mine owns a nightclub needed help getting the lighting system up and running after years of being held together by “Band-Aids.” It just took off after that and lighting quickly became my passion.
2. What do you think is the next big thing in the lighting industry?
I still think LED lighting is the next big thing. There are still so many different types of LEDs and LED fixtures to be produced and used.
3. Do you have a favorite fixture?
The Q-Spot 560-LED moving head is by far my favorite fixture. It has unbelievably fast movement, a clean and sharp beam and a bright LED light source. With a small army of these fixtures, you can make one hell of a light show.
4. What has been your favorite design/project?
My favorite design so far is Platforms, an 8,000-square-foot dance club located in the Ocala Entertainment Complex. There are 70 CHAUVET fixtures installed in that venue. [To read the complete installation story, please click here]
5. What was the biggest unforeseen obstacle that you’ve faced in one of your designs, and how did you overcome it?
For the most part, my projects have always run relatively smooth. The biggest obstacle I have encountered involved hanging the truss in Platforms. The ceiling wasn’t strong enough to hold the trussing system so it had to be reinforced to withstand the weight.
6. Complete this thought: A show without lights is like…
A show without lights is like an amusement park without rides —no fun!